Set up in 2019 in partnership with PGRO, the Bean YEN was established with the support of industry sponsors, including key developmental funding from LSPB. The Bean YEN is entering its third season and aims to continue the growth we have seen so far with the networks sights on 100 completed yields by the end of 2021. Interested bean growers are able to engage and benchmark their crops using a variety of nutritional, physiological and quality parameters and the network continues to aim to understand how this variation is linked to achieved bean yields. We hope that this increased knowledge base will help increase bean yields on-farm.
All members will be provided with a comprehensive report, detailing how their crop performed compared to other crops in the YEN. Members are also invited to discuss results, experiences and ideas at the Results Conference. The 2020 results conference was recorded and can be viewed here.
Annual Bean YEN membership
Membership is open, and available to anyone; farmers, agronomists, and researchers.
- One entrance into the annual Bean YEN benchmarking network*
- One free NRM Soil analysis (P,K, Mg, pH & OM)**
- A comprehensive report on your crop’s performance
- One ticket to the Annual Bean YEN Conference, and a +1 for an entry supporter (agronomist or institutional supporter)
- Lancrop leaf tissue and seed nutrition***
- PGRO grain bruchid beetle damage assessment***
- Further analysis as confirmed***
*Members can enter multiple fields; additional charges apply.
**NRM Soil analysis must be carried out on the field entered into the network. Soil analysis for additional field entered will be subject to additional charges. Soil samples returned after April may be charged for.
***Analysis may be subject to limitations on crop development stage, date, or availability
To give an idea of the process of joining the Bean YEN, the entrant protocol from 2020 is available in the resources section. Please note that the protocol is subject to change for the 2021 season.
- Individual Bean YEN Membership is £250 + VAT.
- Entries sponsored by official Bean YEN 2021 sponsors is £250 + VAT
- Entries sponsored by other organisations is £400 + VAT
Corporate Sponsors support the network to maintain its core activities. Their vital role is recognised in all YEN publicity, media items, conference presentations, and on this website.
Sponsors have a key role in steering the evolution of the network and its activities. They have access to network information, intelligence and discussions to support their own yield enhancement initiatives.
Sponsors can also make multiple competition entries, and have multiple attendance at the annual YEN conference. A few sponsors will also contribute some or all of individual farmers membership fees. For more information, please see the Bean YEN sponsorship enquiry page.