The Pea YEN was established in 2016 with support from PGRO and 15 commercial sponsors. The Pea YEN has sought to understand the variation in pea yields between fields, farms and seasons, with a focus on measurements rather than competition. The first five years of the Pea YEN have been supported by independent pea agronomist Keith Costello sharing his knowledge, taking in-season measures and samples to produce a practical protocol for growers and agronomists specific for peas. In 2021 we aim to increase the number of yields analysed to 100 to continue driving the Pea YEN forward. The Pea YEN is open to all interested parties, with all crops entered receiving a comprehensive report, detailing how their crop performed compared to other crops in the YEN.
All members will receive a comprehensive report, newsletters and are invited to discuss results, experiences and ideas at the Results Conference. The 2020 results conference was recorded and can be viewed here.
Annual Pea YEN membership
Membership is open, and available to anyone; farmers, agronomists, and researchers.
- One entrance into the annual Pea YEN benchmarking network*
- One free NRM Soil analysis (P,K, Mg, pH & OM)**
- A comprehensive report on your crop’s performance
- One ticket to the Annual Pea YEN Conference and a +1 for an entry supporter (agronomist or institutional supporter)
- PGRO Foot rot risk***
- Lancrop leaf tissue and seed nutrition***
- Askew and Barrett Ltd grain sample market quality assessment ***
- Further analysis as confirmed***
*Members can enter multiple fields; additional charges apply.
**NRM Soil Health Checks must be carried out on the field entered into the competition. Soil analysis for additional field entered will be subject to additional charges. Soil samples returned after April may be charged for.
***Analysis may be subject to limitations on crop development stage, date, or availability
- Individual Pea YEN Membership is £250 + VAT.
- Entries sponsored by official Pea YEN 2021 sponsors is £250 + VAT
- Entries sponsored by other organisations is £400 +VAT
To give an idea of the process of joining the Pea YEN, the entrant protocol from 2020 is available in the resources section. Please note that the protocol is subject to change for the 2021 season.
Corporate Sponsors support the network to maintain its core activities. Their vital role is recognised in all YEN publicity, media items, conference presentations, and on this website.
Sponsors have a key role in steering the evolution of the network and its activities. They have access to network information, intelligence and discussions to support their own yield enhancement initiatives.
Sponsors can also make multiple competition entries and have multiple attendance at the annual YEN conference. A few sponsors will also contribute some or all of individual farmers membership fees. For more information, please see the Pea YEN sponsorship enquiry page.